ABOUT NATIONAL STORAGE AFFILIATES
NSA is a self-administered, self-managed real estate investment trust, dedicated to the ownership, operation and acquisition of self storage facilities.
COLLECTING AND USING INFORMATION
Personally Identifiable Information We Collect Online
Through your use of the Site and Services, we may collect Personally Identifiable Information from you as described below. “Personally Identifiable Information” is individually identifiable information about an individual consumer that we collect online and that we maintain in an accessible form.
Information You Provide We may collect the following Personally Identifiable Information that you voluntarily provide to us:
• Reserve a Unit. If you use our reservation feature, we will collect your first and last name, email address, and telephone number. If you use our online leasing feature, we will collect your first and last name, email address, postal address, telephone number, credit card number, military or veteran status, driver’s license number, initials and electronic signature, and insurance policy number or other evidence of insurance if you do not participate in our tenant protection or tenant insurance program.
• Contact Us. If you contact us through the Site, we will collect your name, email address, and telephone number. You also have the option of sending us a message, which may result in you providing additional Personally Identifiable Information.
Information as You Navigate Our Site
We automatically collect certain Personally Identifiable Information through your use of the Site and Services, such as the following:
• Usage Information. We collect information such as which of the pages on the Site that are accessed, the frequency of access, and what is clicked on while on the Site. • Device Information. We collect information about the device used, such as hardware model, operating system, application version number, and browser. • Mobile Device Information. In addition to the Device Information listed above, when our Site is accessed via a browser on a mobile device, we collect and aggregate information about whether the Site is being accessed via a mobile device or tablet, device type, and carrier. • Location Information. We collect location information from Site visitors on a city-regional basis.
Third Party Information
How We Use Your Personally Identifiable Information
We use the Personally Identifiable Information we collect to provide the Services to you, to maintain and improve our Services and Site, and to protect our legal rights. In addition, we may use the Personally Identifiable Information we collect to:
• Lock-in your online rate for a storage unit rental; • Help you to find a storage unit near you; • Update the availability of our storage-unit inventory; • Contact you regarding our products and services that we feel may be of interest to you; • Communicate with you about our Site or Services or to inform you of any changes to our Site or Services; • Review your job application; • Provide support; • Defend our legal rights and the rights of others; • Efficiently maintain our business; and • Comply with applicable law.
How We Share Your Personally Identifiable Information
We may share the information that we collect about you in the following ways:
• With service providers to allow us to provide our services to you (e.g., technology providers that provide software to store and process customer information); • With service providers who perform data services on our behalf (e.g., email, hosting, maintenance, backup, analysis, etc.); • With service providers to prepare, deploy and analyze advertising content; • To the extent that we are required to do so by law; • In connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings; • To establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights, including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention; • To any person who we reasonably believe may apply to a court or other competent authority for disclosure of that Personally Identifiable Information where, in our reasonable opinion, such court or authority would be reasonably likely to order disclosure of that Personal Information; • To any other person or entity as part of any business or asset sale; and • To any other person or entity where you consent to the disclosure.
COOKIES AND OTHER TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES
• Estimate audience size and usage patterns; • Understand and save your preferences for future visits, allowing us to customize the Site and Services to your individual needs; • Advertise new content and services that relate to your interests; • Keep track of advertisements and search engine results; • Compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interactions to resolve issues and offer better site experiences and tools in the future; and • Recognize when you return to the Site.
Cookies can be blocked by changing your Internet browser settings to refuse all or some Cookies. If you choose to block all Cookies (including essential Cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of the Site. You can find out more about Cookies and how to manage them by visiting www.AboutCookies.org.
You can understand which third parties have currently enabled Cookies for your browser or mobile device and how to opt-out of some of those Cookies by accessing the Network Advertising Initiative's website or the Digital Advertising Alliance's website
For more information on mobile specific opt-out choices, visit the Network Advertising Initiative's Mobile Choices website
THIRD PARTY PROCESSORS
To ensure that your Personally Identifiable Information receives an adequate level of protection, we have put in place appropriate procedures with the service providers we share your Personally Identifiable Information with to ensure that your Personally Identifiable Information is treated by those service providers in a way that is consistent with and which respects the applicable laws on data security and privacy. For example, we use payment providers to process your credit card transactions when you use our pay your bill online feature. If you use that feature, you will be directed to a third-party payment processor where you will be asked to login to process your transaction. We do not collect or receive the information provided to payment processors.
“DO NOT TRACK” SIGNALS
Some internet browsers incorporate a “Do Not Track” feature that signals to websites you visit that you do not want to have your online activity tracked. Given that there is not a uniform way that browsers communicate the “Do Not Track” signal, the Site does not currently interpret, respond to or alter its practices when it receives “Do Not Track” signals.
To unsubscribe from emails from us, please click the unsubscribe link included in the footer of our emails. You also may submit a request to us at email@example.com.
We maintain commercially reasonable security measures to protect the Personally Identifiable Information we collect and store from loss, misuse, destruction, or unauthorized access. However, no security measure or modality of data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure. Although we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personally Identifiable Information, we cannot guarantee absolute security.
THIRD PARTY LINKS
The Site and Services are not intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect, use, or disclose personal information from children under 13.
NOTICE TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
The CCPA defines “personal information” to mean information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household. Personal information does not include information that is publicly available, deidentified or aggregate information. For purposes of this “NOTICE TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS” section we will refer to this information as “Personal Information.”
Right to Know About Personal Information Collected, Disclosed, or Sold Your Right
If you are a California resident, you have the right to request that we disclose what Personal Information we have collected about you in the 12-month period preceding your request. This right includes the right to request any or all of the following:
(1) Specific pieces of Personal Information that we have collected about you; (2) Categories of Personal Information we have collected about you; (3) Categories of sources from which the Personal Information was collected; (4) Categories of Personal Information that we sold (if applicable) or disclosed for a business purpose about you; (5) Categories of third parties to whom the Personal Information was sold (if applicable) or disclosed for a business purpose; and (6) The business or commercial purpose for collecting or, if applicable, selling Personal Information.
The CCPA defines “sell” to mean selling, renting, releasing, disclosing, disseminating, making available, transferring, or otherwise communicating orally, in writing, or by electronic or other means, a California resident’s Personal Information to another business or a third party for monetary or other valuable consideration.
How to Submit a Request to Know
You may submit a request to know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling us at 1-855-786-0957. You also may submit a request to know by submitting a form in person at one of our locations.
Our Process for Verifying a Request to Know
We will comply with your request upon verification of your identity and, to the extent applicable, the identity of the California resident on whose behalf you are making such request. We will verify your identity as follows: Request to Know Categories of Personal Information:
We will verify your identity to a “reasonable degree of certainty” by verifying at least two data points that you previously provided to us and which we have determined to be reliable for the purpose of verifying identities.
Request to Know Specific Pieces of Personal Information:
We will verify your identity to a “reasonably high degree of certainty” by verifying at least three pieces of Personal Information previously provided to us and which we have determined to be reliable to the purpose of verifying identities. In addition, you will be required to submit a signed declaration under penalty of perjury stating that you are the individual whose Personal Information is being requested.
Collection of Personal Information
|Categories of Personal Information Collected||Categories of Sources from which Personal Information was Collected||Business or Commercial Purpose for the Collection||Categories of Third Parties with Whom We Share Personal Information|
|Identifiers (name, email address, postal address and driver’s license number and, if storing a vehicle, license plate number)||Consumer||
||Service providers to allow us to provide our services to you (e.g., technology providers that provide software to store and process customer information) *See also below.|
|Telephone number||Consumer||Same as above||Same as above|
|Signature and initials||Consumer||Same as above||Same as above|
|Records or products purchased||Consumer||Same as above||Same as above|
|Military or veteran status||Consumer||Same as above||Same as above|
|Imagery of face (driver's license picture)||Consumer||Same as above||Same as above|
|Credit Card number||Consumer||Same as above||Same as above|
|Insurance policy number / other financial information (we collect a copy of a certificate/ evidence of insurance carried if the customer does not participate in our tenant protection program; if the customer is storing a vehicle; we also may collect this when we obtain evidence of auto insurance)||Consumer||
|Customer number (account ID and rental ID)||Consumer||Maintaining or servicing accounts|
|Audio (CCTV/photographs)||Consumer||Detecting security incidents||
|Cookies, beacons, pixel tags, mobile ad identifiers, or other similar technology||Consumer||
|Internet Protocol address||Consumer||Same as above||Same as above|
* We do not share this customer information with the entity we utilize to provide tenant protection at the time of collection (i.e., when a customer signs up for our tenant protection plan). However, if a customer files a claim as part of our tenant protection program, we will share the customer’s name, telephone numbers, email address, postal address and claim forms with the entity we utilize to provide tenant protection. This is done at the specific direction of the customer making the claim. Disclosure or Sale of Personal Information
• Cookies, beacons, pixel tags, mobile ad identifiers, or other similar technology
• Identifiers (name, email address, postal address and driver’s license number and, if the tenant is storing a vehicle, the license plate number) • Telephone number • Signature • Records of products purchased • Military or veteran status • Imagery of face (driver’s license picture) • Credit card number • Bank account number • Insurance policy number / other financial information (we collect a copy of a certificate/ evidence of insurance carried if the customer does not participate in our tenant protection program or if the customer is storing a vehicle) • Audio (CCTV/photographs) • Internet Protocol address • Cookies, beacons, pixel tags, mobile ad identifiers, or other similar technology
We do not knowingly sell the Personal Information of minors under 16 years of age without affirmative authorization. Right to Request Deletion of Personal Information
If you are a California resident, you have the right to request that we delete the Personal Information about you that we have collected or maintain. However, a business is not required to comply with a request to delete if it is necessary for the business to maintain the Personal Information in order to, for example, complete a transaction, detect security incidents, comply with a legal obligation, or otherwise use the Personal Information, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which the consumer provided the information.
How to Submit a Request to Delete
You may submit a request to delete by emailing us at email@example.com or by calling us at 1-855-786-0957. You also may submit a request to delete by submitting a form in person at one of our locations. If you submit a request to delete online, you will be asked to confirm separately that you want your Personal Information deleted.
Our Process for Verifying a Request
We will comply with your request upon verification of your identity and, to the extent applicable, the identity of the California resident on whose behalf you are making such request. We will verify your identity either to a “reasonable degree of certainty” or a “reasonably high degree of certainty” depending on the sensitivity of the Personal Information and the risk of harm to you by unauthorized deletion. We will verify your identity to a “reasonable degree of certainty” by verifying at least two data points that you previously provided to us and which we have determined to be reliable for the purpose of verifying identities. We will verify your identity to a “reasonably high degree of certainty” by verifying at least three pieces of Personal Information previously provided to us and which we have determined to be reliable the purpose of verifying identities. In addition, you will be required to submit a signed declaration under penalty of perjury stating that you are the individual whose Personal Information is being requested.
Notice of Right to Opt-Out of Sale of Personal Information
If you are a California resident, you have the right to direct a business that sells (or may in the future sell) your Personal Information to stop selling your Personal Information and to refrain from doing so in the future. The CCPA defines “sell” to mean selling, renting, releasing, disclosing, disseminating, making available, transferring, or otherwise communicating orally, in writing, or by electronic or other means, a California resident’s Personal Information to another business or a third party for monetary or other valuable consideration.
How to Submit a Request to Opt-Out
You may submit a request to opt-out of sales by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You also may submit a request to opt-out by submitting a form in person at one of our locations.
How We Process a Request to Opt-Out
We will act upon your request to opt-out after we receive your request. The CCPA does not require that we verify the identity of individuals who submit requests to opt-out of sales. However, we may deny the request if we have a good-faith, reasonable, and documented belief that the request is fraudulent. If we deny the request on this basis, we will notify the requesting party and provide an explanation why we believe the request is fraudulent.
Right to Non-Discrimination for the Exercise of a California Resident’s Privacy Rights
We will not discriminate against California residents if they exercise any of the rights provided in the CCPA as described in this section “Notice to California Residents.” As such, we will not deny goods or services to that California resident; charge different prices or rates for goods or services, including through the use of discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties; provide a different level or quality of goods or services to the California resident; or suggest that the California resident will receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services. However, we are permitted to charge a California resident a different price or rate, or provide a different level or quality of goods or services, if that difference is reasonably related to the value provided to us by the individual’s data.
California residents may use an authorized agent to submit a request to know, delete, or opt-out of sales on your behalf. If you use an authorized agent to submit a request to know or request to delete, we may require that (1) the authorized agent provide proof of your written permission and (2) you verify your identity directly with us. These requirements do not apply if you have provided the authorized agent with a power of attorney pursuant to California Probate Code sections 4000 to 4465. If you use an authorized agent to submit a request to opt-out of sales, you will need to provide that authorized agent with written permission to do so and submit written proof to us that the agent has been authorized to act on your behalf.
Shine the Light Law
We do not disclose personal information obtained through our Site or Services to third-parties for their direct marketing purposes. Accordingly, we have no obligations under California Civil Code § 1798.83.
HOW TO CONTACT US
To contact us for questions or concerns about our privacy policies or practices please email us at email@example.com.